Sunday, December 13, 2009

Poem - Stranger In My Home

Hi there. I debated about this for a while, but finally decided to post this in my blog. Over the years, I have dabbled a little in poetry. I only dabbled because I’m not very good at it. Joni is the poet of the family, and I’m okay with that.

I debated about it because I don’t want people to get the wrong idea. It’s kind of a dark poem, but I promise I’m not suicidal or anything. I finally decided to post it because, like it or not, it’s a part of me, and that’s what my blog is all about; me, and my journey through life.

A few of the lines from this poem started running around in my head a few years ago, but I never made a serious attempt to capture them and write them down. Interestingly, it has been my blindness that gave me some new insights on it and helped me complete it.

So anyway, here’s my poem. Just don’t read too much into it, okay?

Stranger In My Home
By Steven Brandt
December 11, 2009

Who is this stranger in my home?
Who haunts these rooms when I’m alone?
A faceless ghoul to harry me,
A nameless face I cannot see.

I hear the voices laugh and cry,
They disappear when I walk by.
“Get out of here, just go away!”
I hear the words they’ll never say.

These ghosts will be the death of me
If I cannot escape or flee.
Would they still mock if I were gone?
Or would their job on earth be done?

I wander ‘round my rooms by dark
When living seems like much less work.
There is no hope or end in sight,
I’m just a creature of the night.

I find a door and enter through,
The hall of glass reveals the truth.
And in the mirror, the face I see,
The stranger in my home is me.

Copyright 2009 Steven Brandt

3 comments:

  1. Oooh I like it!!!! Great job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, we could all use that reminder now and then, that deep inside,we're strangers to our own selves! Great work honey. And :::ahem::: I'm no poet...I'm a writer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh...it's a three poet household eh?

    http://poemshavehearts.blogspot.com/

    This is Adams blog. The kids has what it takes!

    ReplyDelete