Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Journal - Number 50

Okay, just a few quick notes to catch up on what I’ve been doing.

I’ve been experimenting with my screen reader a little bit, lately. I’ve gotten pretty comfortable with surfing the internet and typing documents, so I decided to challenge myself a little and try some spreadsheets. I’ve always really enjoyed usihng spreadsheets, as any tru obsessive/compulsive would, and used them a lot in my work. Over the years I got pretty good with them and I was kind of missing that. So that’s what I’ve been experimenting with. I made a large database to catalog my audio books. So far, so good. I enjoyed the work, plus now I can find any audio book I want, instead of just listening to whatever is on top.

I called Serotek on Monday of last week, that’s the company that developed my screen reader, System Access To Go. I told them how I had purchased the voice package for my account but it didn't work. After looking up my account and confirming that I had, indeed, paid the forty dollars, the guy told me their system had screwed something up and they would have it fixed by the end of the day. I tried to log in again less than an hour later and they had already fixed it. . I was a little peeved at them over the whole thing, but felt a little better after getting such good customer service. I wish all companies were like that. Don’t they understand that it’s those little touches that will keep their customers happy and loyal?

Last Tuesday we had a little excitement. It seems that the local television station in Kearney recently fired one of its employees. Tuesday, the young man walked into the Wells Fargo bank in Kearney with a gun. I don’t know if anyone really knows what his intentions were, but he ended up holding some hostages for about three hours before finally giving himself up. No one was hurt, praise God. This was a twenty two year old, just a kid. I can only imagine what must have gone wrong in his life to make him do something like that. We used to see stories like that on the news all the time in Dallas, but it’s something of a rarity here. The kid is from Minden which is where we live, although we are several miles outside of town.

Well, this is my 50th post. When I started this blog back in September, I really didn’t know if I would be able to keep it going. I never would have guessed that I had so much to say. Fifty isn’t really a lot, in the grand scheme of things, but I’m pleased. I think it's a great start. So, to celebrate my 50th post, I decided to have a little fun with the number fifty.

In America: There ar fifty states in our union. The fifty dollar bill features the face of Ulysses S Grant, and the fifty cent piece shows the silhouette of John F Kennedy.

In popular culture: There is a song by Paul Simon called “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover.” There is a movie called “50 First Dates” starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, one of my favorites. The television show “Hawaii 5 oh” was thus named because Hawaii was the fiftieth state admitted to the union.

In the year 1950: a new house cost about $8,450, a gallon of gas cost eighteen cents, and a loaf of bread cost twelve cents. Popular movies included “Sunset Blvd" and "Cinderella”, and popular musical acts were Fats Domino and Nat King Cole.

Okay, that wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be, haha. Seriously, if you’ve read all fifty of my posts, thank you and get a life. If you’ve joined me more recently, I hope you’ll stick around for the next fifty, and get a life.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

2 comments:

  1. Happy 50th! And excuse me...I DO have a life! :P
    Okay, maybe not, since I'm at 400 and some posts. Geez, now I'm an 'obsessive compulsive'. Is that what you called yourself? okay.
    Have a wonderful love-filled day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a life? Wow. Now I feel kinda lame for sitting here catching up on all your posts. Hmmm. I've read every one. But I think I have a life ;)

    ReplyDelete