Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Journal - First Signs of Life

Tuesday and Wednesday turned out very hot. Tuesday was supposed to be in the upper 80’s but it actually topped 90 before it was said and done. As I write this on Wednesday afternoon, it is 86 degrees. The yard work has been fun but I have to admit that these temperatures take some of the enjoyment out of it. Flies and mosquitoes are already becoming a nuisance. We also have ants in the kitchen already and the moths are flapping around the back porch and the fluorescent light in the kitchen. On top of that we saw our first June bug last night. And it’s not even May yet. Somebody pinch me, I think I’m still in Texas.

Well, it was too hot these last two days to spend 3 or 4 hours in the yard as I did on the cooler days, but I still got out and did a few things. I’ve been keeping the various flowerbeds watered each day and we are finally seeing some sprouts. We have hollyhocks coming up in a couple of different places but no Zinnias that we can detect. I can’t remember if I mentioned it but I planted some sunflowers out in the yard toward the road where that old wishing well used to sit but no sprouts yet. Today I planted some more on the opposite side of the house, across the driveway where Joni’s “country fence” is. Some of the wild flowers I transplanted on the north side of the house haven’t decided if they like it there or not yet. The potatoes in the garden were a no-go so I dug up that part of the garden and moved some of the little pumpkin seedlings there. They were all growing in a big cluster right where we threw the pumpkins last fall so I just moved three of the individual seedlings to see if they will take. If they make it I’ll try some more to get them spread out a bit. If they do well we should have an awful lot of pumpkins later on. The trees have been dropping tons of those little helicopter seedpods all over the place so we got some of them cleaned out of the flowerbeds before they start to grow. I just got all those little trees cleaned out of there and I don’t want more growing. Joni also started some of our pepper seeds in a little tray today. Hopefully they’ll take off and we can get them in the garden. We also saw our first snake of the season in one of the garden beds. It was a good sized garter. In one of the flowerbeds I was digging up a couple of weeks ago I found a nice little sprinkler. Just a little round one but it’s made completely of metal so I guessed it might still be good. Today I cleaned it up and put a gasket in it and it works great. It will be good for watering the garden once it’s full of vegetables.

Tomorrow we go to Grand Island for my visit to Dr. Halsted, an associate of Dr. Feilmeier’s, so there probably won’t be any yard work tomorrow.

Matthew 13:3-9 And he told them many things in parables, saying: “A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them. Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away. Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. He who has ears, let him hear.” ESV


  1. Among the sprouts, the snake and all the other popper uppers we've experienced, I saw my first toad this morning, (Wednesday) so Spring is in full swing!!!

    Betcha can't wait to mow in 90 degree heat? :P

    Adam and I will have to, don't want YOU to miss out on all the fun! :)

  2. OMT... the Wild turkeys have come back too!!! :)

    Life on the farm...isn't it GRAND? :D