Saturday, September 12, 2009

Drums in the Deep

Hello, and welcome! If you’ve been here before I’m very glad to have you back. If this is your first visit, what took you so long? J

Before I get too far into my story I thought I would take a few moments to explain the title of my blog; “Drums In The Deep”.

Some of you may recognize the phrase. That’s right, I borrowed it from J. R. R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings”. More specifically, it comes from the first book of the trilogy “The Fellowship of the Ring”.

If you’ve never read these books (and shame on you if you haven’t) I’ll give a brief synopsis:

On their journey to Mordor, Gandalf and the rest of the fellowship have been forced to travel through the mines of Moria; a network of tunnels and caverns that were excavated through the mountains by the dwarves. Instead of the warm welcome they expected from the dwarves, they find the mines deserted. Or so they think. Soon they begin to hear drums echoing up from the deep places inside the mountain. “Doom, doom, doom” sound the drums in the deep.

Following the echoing drums, the evil Orcs start boiling up from everywhere.

During the climax of the battle Gandalf blocks the pursuing Orcs, but in the process falls into a bottomless pit. It seems that the drums in the deep do indeed spell certain doom for Gandalf the Gray.

However…

We find out later that Gandalf was not lost. Gandalf the Gray fell into the pit, but he conquered the enemy and was reborn as Gandalf the White, brighter and more powerful than before (does this story remind you of anything?)

He conquered the enemy and was reforged! Pretty amazing huh?

Well that’s why I chose the title “Drums In the Deep”. I have passed through trials and tribulation and have emerged, not broken, but stronger than before. You see, the drums don’t have to be a herald of doom, they can be a harbinger of positive changes in our lives. It’s really up to each of us.

For Gandalf, the reforging process happens kind of quickly; maybe because he was a great wizard. For us lesser mortals, though, the process sometimes takes a bit longer. For me, the process has already lasted several years and is still ongoing. The important thing for me to remember is that it is happening! And as long as I don’t give up, the positive changes will continue until I have been reborn.

Can you see where this is going yet? Yup, I’m talking about God. I hope that doesn’t scare too many of you away.

God has spent a lot of time and effort trying to get my attention. That makes me feel pretty special because I know God has a lot to do. But really He spends a lot of time on ALL of us and that’s the first thing I want you to remember. God loves ALL of us! It doesn’t matter who you are, where you’re from, or what kind of family you have. He loves YOU! He’s trying to talk to you right now, are you listening?

Well anyway, that’s what Drums In The Deep is all about. Hope that made sense. )
That’s it for today. I hope you’ll read on because I have tons more stuff to unload on you…OOPS, I mean SHARE with you! :-)

See you next time!
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment