Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Memories - UNO by Candlelight

The audio book I’m currently reading is “Cell” by Stephen King. I came to a part in the story yesterday where one of the characters took out a gas lantern to light his house after a blackout. Reading that triggered a memory of my childhood. It's a small memory, just a snapshot really, but the memory brought a smile to my face so I thought I would put it in my blog.

I don’t remember what year this was, but I know it had to be in the 1970’s. I know that because Dad was there and he left in 1980.

Just like in the story I’m reading, we had a power outage out on the farm. I don’t remember why the power was out, a summer storm maybe. I don’t think it was a winter storm because with no power the house would have gotten cold and I don't remember it being cold.

Anyway, the power was out and Dad had gotten out our green lantern with the red “Coleman” label on the side. It was the same lantern we took to the lake when we went camping. He must have had to go down to the basement to get it I suppose, I don't really remember where our tent and other camping gear was stored.

Dad lit up the lantern and then hung it from the light fixture in the kitchen. Then all six of us sat around the table in our small kitchen and played UNO. Does anybody remember that card game? The lamp was hung right above the table, but the light was dim. I remember how we had trouble telling the blue cards from the green, and laughing every time somebody mixed them up.

I’m so glad I have this memory. I actually don’t have very many memories of our home life when Dad still lived with us. I remember our camping trips to the lake pretty clearly, and I remember that evening when we all sat down together and played cards by lamplight. It seems that my strongest memories are of times when we were all together as a family. I guess that is to be expected. I was only nine when Dad moved out, and it didn’t seem like he was around that much even before that.

Proverbs 1:8 Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching.

Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. Memories...the elusive part of our past that comes back to either haunt us, hug us, warm us or bite us in the... oh,you get the picture. lol

    ReplyDelete