Monday, June 6, 2011

Journal - Phone Call Follow-Ups

Okay, so it was last Wednesday when I got those phone calls from the Dr.’s office. There have been a couple of minor developments since then so here’s a quick update before I forget.
I had asked Elinore last week whether Dr. Feilmeier was planning to do both transplant and cataract surgeries at the same time. Elinore wasn’t sure and said she would check with the doctor. She called back the very next day and said that he is indeed planning to do both at the same time. That’s fine with me as long as there are no additional or increased risks involved. Getting both at the same time means, if everything goes well, I’ll be able to see much sooner, rather than having one surgery then having to wait a couple of months for the other. When I had my transplant back in 2004, I had excellent vision the very next day when the bandage came off, even though I had read that the vision would come in slowly as the new cornea healed. I’m not sure if cataract surgery requires a lot of recovery time or not, I’ll have to read up on that.
Then today I got a call from another lady at the doctor’s office, I think her name was Megan. Megan was calling to confirm, finally, that they did indeed get the ultrasound results from my visit to Dr. Halgren back in October. That’s good news because everything else was kind of on hold until that got resolved. Megan also told me that the next step will be to get some measurements taken of my eye. I’m not sure what this entails exactly, but the measurements are needed to determine the strength of the lens I will need. When I say lens, I’m talking about the actual lens of the eye, not the cornea or a contact or anything like that. The lens is inside the eye, and it’s where cataracts form. My lens will be removed and replaced with a new one. Unlike the cornea, the lens can be replaced with an artificial one. Megan said the measurements can be taken in Kearney and that someone should be calling me to schedule an appointment.
That’s all the news for now. Stay tuned.

Romans 2:7 to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life;

Romans 5:3-5 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

1 comment:

  1. Mr, Paul at church has had cataract surgery as well as our friends back at Round Grove in Texas. He said he saw so much better with that 'old cataract out!'

    Are you getting nervous? Excited? Or are you just... "it'll happen when it happens"?

    Inquiring minds wanna know.

    I'll tell you my feelings if you tell me yours! :P

    We'll see... it'll happen when it is SUPPOSED to happen. :D

    ReplyDelete