Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Journal - The Next Step On Our Journey

Well, let me think now. I think I mentioned earlier that we were beginning our search for a new car today to replace my truck that got wrecked last week. I really had my heart set on getting another Explorer if I could manage it since I loved my old one so much. For the last several days I was searching online to see what was available in this area and was pleased to see that there were plenty of Explorers around. I already had it in mind that I would probably not be able to get a newer one than my old ’99 and that I might have to get one with lots of miles on it. Having those things in mind we set out today to visit our first used first lot.

In my online searches I had found a lot in Kearney that had two Explorers, both within my price range and both with lower than expected mileage. I had decided to make that our first stop. We got there and saw the two Explorers right away and both were pretty decent looking. The guy came out and asked what we were looking for and I said “I’m looking for these!” He went inside and brought out the keys and also the keys for a third one that he had on the lot. We drove the first one, a light blue ’98 with a dark blue interior. It was quite good looking but right away I thought that it did not feel very good on the road. It was kind of shaky and didn’t seem to have much power when I stepped on the gas and after a few minutes we started to smell something burning. So we took that one back.

2000 Dodge Durango 4x4
The next one was a green ’99 that was pretty much identical to my old one except for the color. We took it out and it felt much better on the road. It had some defects but nothing major. I was thinking that one would probably do, but I wanted to look further before making a decision. We took that one back and took a look at the third one he had. It was an old ’91 but it only had about 80k miles on it, which is amazing. I was pretty sure I didn’t want one that old regardless of the miles but we took it for a drive anyway. It was in amazingly good condition and we both liked the color too, white over blue. I didn’t get to drive it very far because it was almost out of gas. I was pretty sure I didn’t want that one anyway so we took it back after a short drive.

Durango Rear View
So after our third drive the guy came back out and asked us what we were thinking. I told him what I thought of each one and then asked him if he had any other SUV’s on the lot for around four thousand dollars. Just as I said that we were walking past a beautiful dark blue Dodge Durango and I said “Probably not this one huh?” He took a look at it and said “Yeah we’ve got that one marked at $3,988 and that silver one over there also for $3,988.” I was flabbergasted because it looked like it was probably a lot more expensive. He asked if we’d like to drive it and I said yes. Well, Joni and I got in and I think it was love at first sight for both of us. The color was exactly what I wanted and the interior was a beautiful cream colored leather and there was even some of that fake wood grain stuff on the dashboard. We pulled out of the lot and drove about two blocks and I told Joni “I love this truck.”

Love that fake wood grain!
So we drove for a bit and then took it back. I told the guy that I loved that truck and we spent a few minutes looking it over. It finally came time to talk about money so I told him I could give him $3600 for it. He said “Let’s go inside and see what we can do.” So we went in and he looked at some papers, although honestly I don’t think he was looking very hard, and he said “Yep, we can do that.” We signed the papers, handed over a check and we were off, me in the new truck and Joni in her car.

Journey and Carma
I love this truck! I miss my old truck, but this sure softens the blow. Is it perfect? No. Does it exceed my expectations? You bet. I got it home and spent the afternoon washing and waxing it, as I always like to do when I bring home a new car. Then I got out the camera and started shooting.

So, this is a 2000 Dodge Durango in one of the most beautiful colors of blue I’ve ever seen. It has a lot of miles on it but I think it has a lot left in it too. Everything seems to work, with the possible exception of the cruise control, which felt a little flaky on the way home. This is a truck that really looks, feels, and sounds like a truck. Oh, and it’s a four-wheel-drive, which is something I was really hoping to get. My old Explorer didn’t have that, which was okay back in Dallas, but not so good here in Nebraska. It also has a third seat way in the back, something else the Explorer lacked. Not that I have that many people to carry around mind you. It’s kind of neat though, and of course the seat folds down completely flat to make extra cargo space, which is what I will need more often. I think I mentioned before that Joni likes to name our cars. The old truck she had named Destiny, and our Cougar she named Carma. She has already decided to name the new truck Journey.

Now I will be hoping and praying that this will be a good truck for us. I sort of felt led to this truck, the way I felt led to the Cougar back in August. It wasn’t the truck I was looking for but when I saw it and drove it, it just felt right. And I didn’t run all over tarnation looking at vehicle after vehicle like I had planned either. Once again I am reminded that I can make all the plans I want to, but if God has something else in mind then I better be flexible. It’s a hard thing to follow His will rather than my own, but it always is the better way.

1 Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. ESV

Proverbs 3:5-5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. ESV

1 comment:

  1. That IS a pretty blue! Those two look so nice together.

    This journey is going to be fascinating! I'm glad we're on the same path.

    ILU!

    ReplyDelete