Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Journal - Basketball, Blogs, and Birthdays

First off, I need to make an addendum. I talked about Grandma Gladys the other day and totally forgot one of my favorite things. For longer than I can remember, there was a sun catcher hanging in Grandma’s big kitchen window. It was kind of a basic flower shape, a round center with evenly spaced petals around it, all in red and orange. The frame of the design is very heavy, maybe pewter or something similar. I have that sun catcher now and it is one of my most favorite possessions. Unfortunately I can never get it to stay in a window, it’s always falling because it is so heavy. Don't know how Grandma kept it hanging all those years.
Hmm. Hmm. Hmm. I noticed something about my screen reader, System Access To Go, the other day. It used to be that when I typed hmm, it just said the letters instead of actually pronouncing it. Now he actually says hmm the way a person would. Evidently they are making little improvements in the program. If I spell that with three m’s instead of only two he still just says the letters, though.
Sunday was Nebraska’s first game of the NCAA tournament for the women’s basketball team. Nebraska controlled the game pretty much from the start. They had a 13 point lead at halftime, and ended up beating Northern Iowa 83 to 44. They hit ten 3 pointers, which is good. Someone said they were having trouble with that earlier. Kelsay Griffin scored the 2,000th point of her 5 year career. I don’t know much about basketball, but I know it takes a lot of baskets to make 2,000 points. The next game for Nebraska is tonight at 8:30 versus either North Carolina State or UCLA. I don’t know how good those teams are but I can assume that each game will get more difficult as the weaker teams are weeded out.
The song I can’t get out of my head this week is “Need You Now” by Lady Antebellum. My favorite food of the moment is breaded chicken patties with swiss cheese on a hamburger bun with green olives and potato chips on the side.
I’ve really been enjoying writing book reviews for my blog “Reviews From The Deep”, and I'm really pleased that some other people have been enjoying it too. I already mentioned last week that Joni's friend Benning talked about it on his blog, “Benning’s War”, and on Saturday my Friend Ensign Ro also mentioned it on her blog, “In The Center Of The Roof.” She gave me some good feedback too that I think will help me write more interesting book reviews. Incidentally, Ro is, like me, blind, and if you want to see the world from the perspective of a blind person, you should definitely read her blog. She’s much better at describing the “blind experience” than I am. In fact, you should go do that right now. I’ll wait for you here.
All done? Good! Also I should mention Joni’s blog, "One Voice - Write Right." Joni mentions both of my blogs all the time and suckers, I mean “gets” people to read what I write. Thanks honey! If you’re interested in becoming a writer, Joni’s blog is for you, she always has lots of hints and tips for budding writers. Also, she posts her own, original poetry every Sunday, so check it out.
Speaking of Joni, today, March 23rd, is my sweetie’s birthday! Now, let me think, how old is Joni this year? 28? No, too young. 47? No, way too old! Oh, I remember! Joni is 39 this year. Happy 39th birthday, honey! I hope you have a really great day!

Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.

Psalms 4:6-8 Many are asking, “Who can show us any good?” Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you managed to loop me in with my favorite bloggers! Honored! *smile*

    I will see the sun today, even if there is clouds. Thanks! Going shopping. WOOHOO! Lookout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, nice. Mmm, maybe System Access is taking a page from Alex? How does it handle Psst? Gotta love screen readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, they still have some work to do. It still doesn't handle psst or mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm this is interesting hmm...

    how does it handle croissant? lol

    jnoi :P

    ReplyDelete