Monday, March 8, 2010

Journal - Perfect Season

Saturday’s basketball game, Nebraska vs Kansas State, was another exciting one. I turned the game on a little late. There was just a few minutes left in the first half and Nebraska was down by eleven points. Uh oh! By the end of the first half, Nebraska had narrowed the gap to seven points. This was the final game of the regular season, and Nebraska was playing for a perfect, undefeated season. It looked like they had their work cut out for them.

When the second half began, Nebraska took over. Within just a few minutes they had an eleven point lead and never looked back. Kansas State came within six points at one point, but that was as close as they got. Nebraska won the game 82 to 72 and finished the season with a perfect record of 29 wins and 0 losses, the first Big 12 team to do so.

My computer speakers came on Friday, several days earlier than I expected. It’s always nice when something happens sooner than you expect it to. I also got a headphone extension cord so Adam and I can plug into the cord instead of directly into the speaker. I think that will help the jack in the speaker not wear out so quickly. Joni rarely uses the speakers for anything, so the cord can just stay plugged into the speaker all the time, and Adam and I can plug into the cord.

I’ve been noticing something odd about my screen reader, System Access To Go, lately. I had noticed some time ago that when I delete things from the computer, they don’t go into the recycle bin. Later on, I discovered that the deleted files are going into the bin, but when I look in there, SA To Go tells me the bin is empty, even though it’s not. On Saturday I emailed Serotek, the company that makes SA To Go, to ask them about that.

It looks like spring is finally on its way! Most of the snow is melted and the temperatures are gradually climbing into the forties and fifties. When we went to church on Sunday, I only wore a light jacket instead of my winter coat and it felt wonderful. Also, the geese and cranes are arriving by the hundreds. My hometown of Gibbon sits about 3 miles north of the Platte River, and our house here on the turkey ranch is about 5 miles south of the river. The area in between is a major stopping point for migrating geese and cranes. I think mostly they go for the river, but quite a few of them are landing in the harvested corn fields around here to pick up scraps of corn too.

We had a very thought provoking message at church this week. It was about following Christ as a nation. It was Pastor Tim this time, instead of Pastor Mike, but he does a nice job too. He talked a little bit about September 11, quoting from an interview that someone had with Billy Graham’s daughter, Ann. The interviewer asked her how God could let such a thing happen. Her response was that God is deeply grieved over it, but we have spent so many years now asking God to get out of our schools and out of our government, that God, being the gentleman that He is, has calmly backed off. That's a pretty scary thought, but it makes a lot of sense.

Psalms 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

Psalms 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, and the people he chose for his inheritance.

1 comment:

  1. As you would say, YAY Spring!
    Although I love the snow and did not complain one time about the cold, I'm glad to see the spring activity.
    Living so close to the Rowe Sanctuary is quite the pleasure. I love the Heron, Crane and Geese! I think my neck hurts from looking up so much these past two weeks.
    But then again, shouldn't we always have our heads raised to the heavens? ;-)

    This has been an awesome experience! Oh, and Go Huskers? :-)

    ReplyDelete