Thursday, October 6, 2011

Journal - Good News

As promised, Eleanor called this morning to let me know how the testing went on the cornea. The call came at about 9:30 this morning, and the news was all good. On Sunday, we’ll be on our way to Omaha.
Mom had told me yesterday that she wanted me to call her at work as soon as I knew something, rather than wait for her lunch break, so I did. I think she was happy for me, although it’s always so hard to tell with Mom the way she hides her feelings and all.
After that, I called the hotel in Omaha to make a reservation. Eleanor had already provided us with a map of the area surrounding the hospital, with some different hotels and restaurants marked on it. Joni and I had already discussed which hotel to stay in, so all I had to do was call them up and book a room. Joni’s mother had given us her credit card number several weeks ago and told us to use it for our hotel. I wasn’t sure how that would work. I knew I could book a room with it, but I was afraid they would want us to present the card when we checked in or something. I asked them about it though, and they said it was no problem. So that was a pretty big load off my mind, knowing that the hotel would be paid for.
Not too long after that, a nurse called from the hospital where my surgery will be, the Methodist Hospital in Omaha. Eleanor told me someone would call today or tomorrow to go over some things. I’m sorry to say that I can’t remember the lady’s name, but she was really super nice. We went over my medical history, medications I’m taking, and all kinds of stuff. She told me not to eat or drink anything after 11pm the night before, and to be at the hospital at 5:30am on Monday. The hospital has free valet parking which was a pleasant surprise. Also, she asked me to bring in all the prescription medications I’m currently using so they could check the strengths and dosages. She didn’t know that I was completely blind, and when I told her she said she would say an extra prayer for me. It seems like God is using every available resource to remind me that He is in control.
After that, I went downstairs for my workout on the exercise bike, which I am still keeping up with, but will probably have to abandon for a few weeks after surgery.
Then this afternoon I called the hotel again to confirm our reservation. When I called this morning, they transferred me to some service they use that handles their reservations. Even though I dialed the hotel direct, I ended up talking to a guy who was asking me what city I wanted to stay in. Also, he called it a Quality Inn, rather than a Comfort Inn which did not fill me with confidence. So anyway, I called the hotel direct again and asked to confirm the reservation, and they said everything looked fine. I asked about the credit card again also, and she said it was no problem.
So it was a busy day, but a good one. I exchanged emails with various members of my family, and even managed to get a couple of book reviews written. A pretty productive day. I had a little trouble sleeping last night, but I’m thinking that I’ll be okay tonight. We crossed a major hurdle today, and while I’m still nervous about the outcome, at least things are moving forward. Sunday will be here before we know it.

Romans 12:12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. ESV

Psalms 13:2-3 "How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,” ESV

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo!!! I know a good chauffeur if ya need one! Oh wait, WE'RE GOING TO OMAHA!

    And on Tuesday right after the docs visit we can go to the zoo, if not, I'm settling in at the 'cafe'!

    Going to be a long long weekend!!

    Can't wait for you to see me again. I've changed so much. Put on about fifty pounds, dyed my hair black. Just kidding. I just wanted to scare ya! ha ha ha

    I LOVE YOU, you know that, right??? RIGHT!