Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Journal - Greetings from Omaha part 3

So I was asleep before they even got me into the operating room, and the next thing i knew, I was waking up. if you've never had the experience, I can tell you that waking up from anasthesia isn't like waking up in the morning. you're in a strange place for one thing, and even when you wake up, the anasthesia is still clouding your brain. I have a vague recollection of trying to sit up in the bed, and of someone gently pushing me back down. Then the nurse was asking me if i was okay, and if I needed anything. My head was starting to clear a little, so I said, "I had a dream, and you were there, and you were there, and you were there." you know, like Dorothy in the Wizard of oz. I'm not sure if the nurse got the joke. her chuckle seemed to say, "You're still out of it, and I've heard it all buddy."
That's about all i remember from waking up, except for asking for a drink of water. Oh, and i asked what time it was and the nurse said it was 9:30. They gave me some time to wake up and then Joni was there. My eye was heavily bandaged of course, so i still didn't know what I would be able to see if anything. I don't really remember anything else from the hospital except getting dressed and leaving. Joni says we left at about 10:30am, so we were only there for a little more than five hours, and I was asleep for two of those.
So we came back to the hotel to relax a bit. We layed around for an hour or two, then joni went out to get us some food. I was in the mood for a hamburger so she and Adam went into the little bar and grill across the parking lot and brought one back for me. it tasted very good, but after i ate it I started feeling a little nauseous. But I laid back down and felt okay after a little bit.
So we all napped a little that afternoon and just watched tv and didn't do much. For supper, we ordered from Valentino's; I had chicken alfredo, Joni had spaghetti, and Adam got a mini pizza. I kind of stuffed myself again i'm afraid. I'll probably gain twenty pounds before we get home.
I was kind of excited about monday night. monday Night football moved to ESPN several years ago and since we don't have cable, I've never been able to watch since it moved from network television. and, as luck would have it, my favorite team, the Detroit Lions, were playing. the Lions are having a very good year so far, still undefeated, and they have three former Cornhuskers on the team, including Ndamukong Suh who they drafter two years ago. it was a good game, Detroit won.
it was pretty late by then, probably around 11pm or so I guess, so we went to bed. I slept a little better, I actually fell asleep pretty quickly, but woke up during the night and had a hard time falling asleep again. I think i only got through about half a movie monday night, as opposed to the two and a half on Sunday.
We didn't have to get up especially early on Tuesday morning, so I laid in bed until about 9. Joni and Adam went downstairs and brought up some food from the continental breakfast. I had some biscuits and gravy and a couple of sweet rolls and a hard boiled egg. After watching tv for a little bit, it was time to leave for my 10;30 appointment with the doctor, and to get the bandages removed from my eye. the moment of truth in other words.
But I'll have to write about that a little later. I can't just sit here on the computer all day, after all. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion!


  1. You're funny! You are so suspenseful and thank goodness that *I* am privvy to the outcome or I'd hit ya upside the ehad for making me wait!

    I LOVE YOU!!

    Joni :)

  2. um screen reader will read ehad...I meant HEAD! Right upside the head. *whack* lol


  3. Yeah, you get an ehad smack! LOL

    Go Lions! (I say that since my Eagles are miserable, so far. LOL)

    Write on! (I know how it turns out, but I'm enjoying the palaver, Dorothy! :) )