Friday, October 28, 2011

Journal - Last Trip to Omaha

And then on Wednesday, it was back to Omaha once again. My appointment was for 3pm, but they’ve always been good about just taking us in whenever we get there, knowing that we have a long drive. So we left at about 10am Wednesday morning, knowing that we would probably get there at about 1 in the afternoon. We weren’t sure what to expect weather-wise; they were calling for possible wind and rain, and I think there was even a slight chance of snow. Luck was with us, however. It was cloudy all the way there, but no rain at all and the wind was blowing but not too bad. We arrived at Dr. Feilmeier’s office right at 1 o’clock.
As usual, we didn’t have to wait more than a few minutes. We went to the exam room, and the assistant pulled up the old eye chart. My vision isn’t really good enough right now to read much on the chart. I can get the big “E” at the top, but that’s about it. But on the pinhole test, I got all the way down to the 20/60 line, my best yet. If you don’t know what a pinhole test is, it’s just where you look at the chart through tiny little pinholes. It makes the letters on the chart come in much clearer. It’s really the only way to gauge the progress in patients with low vision like myself. After that, the assistant checked my pressure, which is still normal, then she went for the doctor.
Dr. Feilmeier was very pleased with what he saw as he examined my eye. He said everything is looking great, and that 20/60 is remarkably good only two weeks out from surgery. He had brought in an intern with him, so they both spent a few minutes checking out my eye while Dr. Feilmeier filled the intern in on some of my history. When they were done looking, Doc said to just keep doing what I am doing: no lifting, no touching the eye, wear the shield at night, no change in drops. I asked him if I could start exercising again, and he said I could as long as I don’t push too hard. Then I asked about my sax, but he said no sax for at least another month. That won’t leave much time for me to practice for Christmas so there may not be a Christmas concert this year. That’s okay though, I guess that’s a small price to pay. The best news of all is that we don’ have to go back to Omaha again. My next appointment will on November 18 in Kearney. That’s good because we are tired of driving to Omaha, and also because he thinks I am doing well enough to go without a checkup for almost a month. Of course, if there are any problems I can always call him up and get it checked out. I’ve been through enough eye problems that I’m confident that I will be able to tell if something is not right.
And that was it. We got in an out, and were back on the road by 2pm. We stopped in Yolk, I mean York, for a bite to eat at Wendy’s, an to fill up the gas tank. By then it was 4 o’clock, so just before we left York, Joni called Adam at home to make sure he got home from School okay, which he did. Then we hit the road again and were home by about 5:30. It was another long day, but it’s a relief to know that we can just stay home and rest now.

Psalms 6:2 "Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing; heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled.”

Jeremiah 17:14 "Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise."

1 comment:

  1. Yolk??? LOL

    Rest?? Where? When? And I washed clothes yesterday!

    Limbs still a lil numb, but with this REST you speak of, maybe I'll get BETTER!!! rest rest...

    And, I want to MOVE to Omaha, whachoo talkin' 'bout? :P

    love you honey! *kiss* *kiss* :D