Saturday, October 8, 2011

Journal - The Night Before

Well, tomorrow is the big day. Okay, it’s not THE big day, but it’s the day we travel to Omaha for my surgery. Believe it or not, the days have gone by pretty fast since the doctor’s office called me on Wednesday.
I haven’t been feeling too nervous or anxious about the surgery like you might think. Until today that is. Shortly after noon today, I started packing my bag, and that’s when it started to sink in that something was happening. The rest of the afternoon I was sort of frazzled and I wandered around the house a lot wondering what I was forgetting to pack. Mom came out at about 5pm to see us before we go. Then we had supper and I took my shower. By then it was a quarter after six.
This evening, Nebraska had a football game against Ohio State that started at 7pm. I was glad of that because I knew it would give me something else to think about until bedtime. That almost turned out badly though. Before I knew it, Nebraska was down 27 to 6 and I was pacing the house again. Luckily, I checked in on the game again a little bit later because Nebraska was rallying. About halfway through the third quarter, the game completely turned around. Nebraska ended upscoring 28 unanswered points, and won the game 34 to 27. That was pretty amazing. According to the announcers, it was the biggest comeback in school history. Needless to say, that took my mindoff my worries and really lifted my spirits. Do you suppose God turned that football game around justfor me? Probably not, but it sure did the trick.
So anyway, the bags are all packed and we’re all ready to go, and I’ll be going to bed soon to see if I can sleep. We haven’t decided yet if we’re going to church tomorrow. There will be time, we’re usually home by 11am as our church has two services each Sunday, and we go to the early one, but we’re not sure how we’ll feel in the morning. We may get up and decide to hit the road. I hope I can get some sleep tonight. My mind is still reeling a bit, trying to think if I’ve remembered everything. Well, even if I forget something I suppose events will unfold as they are meant to. After all, if God be for us, who can be against us?
So long for now. I might post some updates from Omaha since we’ll have Joni’s laptop with us, but who knows, I may have better things to do.

Romans 5:3-5 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. ESV

Romans 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. ESV

1 comment:

  1. Amazing. My friends rally to get me a laptop, you think God had that all planned too?? I mean, since he turned the game around for you, and all? :P
    He's an AMAZING God!

    I love you so much! This has been an awesome experience!

    Joni

    ReplyDelete