Monday, October 8, 2012

Journal - Snow and Rain

Last Friday I went to work at 10am prepared for a day in the cold. I had on my new jacket with a lighter jacket under it, my new gloves, and I wore my boots for the first time. I wasn’t sure how my feet would like the boots so I took along my shoes just in case. I don’t remember the temp but I’m pretty sure it was still in the 30’s when I arrived and never made it out of the 40’s all day.

I felt cold when I started out but it didn’t take me long to warm up. I hadn’t even been there an hour before I took off my inner jacket. At around 11:30 it started snowing but it was just tiny little flakes. After a while the snow turned to a very light rain. My jacket kept me perfectly warm, in fact maybe too warm, as I got pretty sweaty as I worked. It also kept me dry from the rain. My gloves got pretty wet from handling the wet shopping carts but it never soaked through and my hands stayed warm and dry; also a little sweaty though. I ended up wearing my boots the whole day and they felt pretty good on my feet so no problems there either. Also they never seemed to get wet at all so maybe that spray stuff works okay, although as I said the rain was very light. All in all it was a pretty good day and I only had to work until 3:30.

On gameday Saturday I had another 8 to 5 shift and it was cold again so I dressed the same. Just as on Friday, I had to take off my inner jacket after about an hour. I was a little distressed when my right leg started hurting quite a bit after I had only been there for an hour. The next seven hours were looking mighty long, but I went inside and got a bottle of Aleve and took one at about 9:30 and that seemed to tide me over. I ended up taking another one at around 3 that afternoon. But with God’s help I made it through the day. My hands were fine in my gloves and my feet were still feeling pretty good with the boots.

On Sunday we made it to church in the morning. I just barely had enough time to rush home and wolf down a sandwich that Joni made for me while I was changing and then I was back out the door again for a 12 to 5 shift. It wasn’t quite as cold this day so I didn’t bother with the second jacket and I wore my shoes again. I had got to thinking the night before that even though the boots felt okay on my feet maybe the extra weight was what finally got to my legs on Saturday. That may be the case because I felt pretty good all day Sunday. Also on Saturday night I finally broke down and put some Icy-Hot on my calves. Joni had been trying to get me to do that but I’m always so wary of putting stuff on my skin. It turned out to be okay though and maybe that also helped my legs feel better Sunday while I worked.

And today was my day off. We had a nice relaxing day and my legs are feeling pretty good. On Tuesday and Wednesday I have my first back-to-back 8-hour shifts so I’m hoping things go okay. Tomorrow I’m supposed to work 10 to 7 but I may have to leave a little before 7 so I can get home before it gets too dark. The scheduler and the other cart-pushers all know about that so that won’t be a problem if I need to leave early

Through all of this I’m spending a lot more time in the car of course. I always keep the radio tuned to MyBridge Radio on 99.9, which is a contemporary Christian station. I’ve found that to be a nice little pick-me-up before and after work, something to help me keep my focus on God. It’s music and uplifting stories and things like that and on Sundays they air a sermon from our very own Pastor Mike at E-free Church that I can listen to as I drive to work.

Isaiah 26:3-4 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock. ESV

Colossians 3:1-2 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. ESV

1 comment:

  1. I've pretty much settled into the work hours but the back-to-back eight hour days concern me as does you not getting out of there before dark!!!
    Okay, jacket, gloves, ice water, icy hot,aleve; all good things, but driving in the dark is NOT good!

    I love you so much, I'll anxiously await your arrival home, as I always do! :*

    ReplyDelete