Thursday, February 25, 2010

Journal - Weathering The Storm

Well, I don’t really have much to write about, but I’m going to try anyway. I’ve been a little down in the dumps this week and just haven’t felt like doing this. So today I decided to force myself. That has worked for me in the past, just making myself do it when I don't really feel like it.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about how the little things can make such a big difference. I guess that holds true with negative things too. Sometimes they can just kind of pile up on you. Last week I got another letter from BCBS. Now they want my entire medical history for the last five years. I’ll have to contact some doctors. Then earlier this week the band on my talking watch broke. It’s held together now by electrical tape, but it still works. And now the headphone jack on my computer speaker is going bad and I don’t think it will keep working much longer. Those are little things, I’m just a little more sensitive to them than I used to be.

I did get some good news, though. On the same day I got that letter from BCBS, I also got one from the pharmaceutical company that makes my asthma medicine, Advair. Several weeks ago, my doctor helped me apply for free or discounted medicine. The letter I got last week was to inform me that I had been approved for Advair at no cost. It went on to say that my first three month supply would be arriving shortly, and I could get free refills for one year. On Tuesday of this week, the package arrived. It had three Advair inhalors, plus a Ventolin which is my rescue inhalor. I wasn’t expecting the Ventolin so that was like a surprise within a surprise. That’s a pretty big load off my mind.

And that’s all I have for today. I’ll try to force myself to put something down tomorrow too. Maybe if I keep at it for a few days, it will start to flow a little more naturally again. I have something nice planned for Saturday, but I put that together a couple weeks ago and have been saving it.

My closing verse today is from the fifty-seventh Psalm. I heard it on the radio the other day when I was listening to a message by Doctor Charles Stanley. He’s on every evening at seven pm and I’ve grown to like him. On this particular night, his message was about weathering storms. Coincidence?

Psalms 57:1-4
1 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,for in you my soul takes refuge;in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,till the storms of destruction pass by.2 I cry out to God Most High,to God who fulfills his purpose for me.3 He will send from heaven and save me;he will put to shame him who tramples on me. SelahGod will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness!
4 My soul is in the midst of lions;I lie down amid fiery beasts—the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows,whose tongues are sharp swords.

1 comment:

  1. I learn so much from your writing about how you're feeling.
    On facebook, I'm a fan of Dr. Charles Stanley!

    Sometimes we go down a path set before us and we wonder if there is glass in the road or sand. The glass cuts us real bad but the sand is comforting to our feet.

    My point? We have to walk through hell before we can ever make it to heaven. Good thing we have the Lord to carry us over the shards of broken glass, so he can set us down on the comforting sand.

    ReplyDelete