Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Journal - Christmas Party

On Saturday the 18th, Joni and I had our Christmas party here at the house. We had a great time with lots of good food and good music.
We had a pretty big crowd. Brad and Cindy were here with two of their kids, DJ and Taylor. Bobbi and Mike came with all four of their kids, Brian, Elliot, Brandon, and Kylie. Mom was here too of course, along with the three of us. Fourteen people in all, which was four more than we had last year. It was great having so many people here. A lot of times I feel kind of put out with so many people around, but it doesn’t seem to bother me as much here in my own home. The kids got a little rowdy, but I loved every minute of it.
For supper, we had sloppy joe’s. Not very fancy, but very simple for a large crowd, and something that everyone likes. To go with that, Joni had picked up buckets of potato salad and macaroni salad at Walmart. Also Mom brought a veggie tray, a necessity for any gathering, Brad brought a crock-pot full of his famous baked beans, and Bobbi brought a cherry dessert that was simply scrumptious. The highlight of the evening was when Brandon dropped a whole sloppy joe on the kitchen floor. Haha! That made our dog, Sassie, happy. We had her locked up in the basement and she seemed to calm down after she got Brandon’s sandwich. It seemed like a ton of food, but we had surprisingly few leftovers. That was nice because last year we had a lot leftover and Joni and I were eating chicken fajitas for about a week after.
After supper and a quick clean-up, it was time for me to get out my sax. I was nervous, but not nearly as nervous as I was last year. The songs all went reasonably well, my only major screw-up was on the very last song, “Let it Snow.” I think because it was my last song, I let my guard down and I messed up on a part that I never really had any trouble with in my rehearsals. My toughest song this year was “Sleigh Ride” and that one went pretty well. My favorite song to play was “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” and I was very happy with how that one turned out. The big hit of the night seemed to be “Breath of Heaven (Mary’s Song)”. I kind of expected that, it’s really a beautiful song.
After that we sat around and talked for a while, and then it was over. I was kind of sad after everyone had gone home. I looked forward to the evening for several weeks, and then it was over so fast. I just sat for a while listening to Christmas music and trying to hang on to the warm feeling of having my family around me. That happened last year too, and the melancholy persisted into the new year, but I seemed to rebound a lot better this year. Aunt LeeDel is supposed to come down from Sioux Falls the week after Christmas, if the weather holds up, and I asked Mom if they would like to run out while she’s here so I can play for her. So I think we’re going to do that next Tuesday.
Anyway, we had a really great time, and I think everyone else did too. I can’t wait to do it again next year!
Oh, I almost forgot! It snowed Saturday morning and afternoon before everyone came. It was a nice gentle snow, without any wind, and it was just enough to cover the ground without making it difficult to drive in. That was the perfect touch, it just doesn’t feel like Christmas without snow.

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. NKJV

Matthew 1:21 She will bring fortha son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins. NKJV

1 comment:

  1. The highlight was Brandon dropping his sloppy joe? Not!

    There were so many highlights, like your music being one the best parts of the evening. You've got a really great family!

    I sure miss my family. :( Maybe we can invite THEM next year! :)

    ReplyDelete