Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Journal - More Gardening Exploits

So last week was pretty quiet and uneventful. Each day I go out and water all the plants we have growing.

On Saturday, one of our very hot days, I put in a pretty good day’s work. Across the long west side of our patio area I dug new flower beds. In one section I planted some catnip seeds that we picked up last year and never did anything with. And in the rest I transplanted some mint from the south and east sides of the house. So far the mint looks pretty limp and it hasn’t decided if it wants to live there or not but I hope it makes it.

Everything else is doing pretty well. The pumpkins are looking pretty healthy, we have sunflowers coming up in about six different areas. In fact, all the sunflowers I planted are coming up nicely. We also have hollyhocks, zinnias, marigolds, and day lilies coming up in various places.

The only things we’re not having any luck with are the seeds we tried to start in some little dishes. We have dishes of peppers, tomatoes, green onions, and strawberries, but so far nothing is showing. I suppose I’ll pick up some more seeds and just try them directly into the garden.

Sunday and Monday were quite cool and cloudy. We had some pretty good chances for rain, which I was looking forward to knowing they would be good for the plants, but we never got more than a few drops. It was too cold out to do much outside.

Today, Tuesday, it is warming back up a bit so I went out and dug up another section of the garden and started some watermelon seeds. I made five mounds spaced out pretty good so hopefully I’ll have some watermelons to talk about one of these days. I also have some cucumbers that I’ll probably get started one of these days.

Coming up on Thursday is my next eye appointment in Kearney. Hard to believe I haven’t seen Dr. Feilmeier for a month. I’ll be interested to see what he has to say after that length of time. Then on Saturday is Kylie’s graduation. Little Kylie graduating, can you believe it? So we’ll be gone most of that day.

Song of Solomon 4:16 Awake, O north wind, and come, O south wind! Blow upon my garden, let its spices flow. ESV

Jeremiah 29:5 Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce. ESV

1 comment:

  1. My happy lil gardner!
    Took over my job, did ya? Ok, the east side is mine!!! MINE! So no touchy!!!

    Wow, lil Kylie graduating. I've known her almost as long as you have.lol And she's still not much taller, but still a beautiful young lady!

    Wow a month and no Omaha! I miss the breakfasts! lol

    A good report coming up! We're both healing together. Awww... :) ILU!

    ReplyDelete