Friday, June 15, 2012

Journal - A Double Dose of Doctors

Yesterday, Thursday, I had two eye appointments, one with Dr. Vaughan and one with Dr. Feilmeier.

First was Dr. Vaughan at 11:00am. I saw Dr. Vaughan last month in hopes of getting some eyeglasses. On that visit, however, he said my eye, while healing very nicely, was still too unstable to really get good numbers for a prescription. At that time my best possible vision with glasses was around 20/30, very good indeed. Well, let me tell you, on yesterday’s visit I got all the way down to 20/30 on the eye chart, with no correction at all. I was simply amazed. I knew my eye was getting better all the time but I had no idea it was that good. Dr. Vaughan ran me through the tests and said that with glasses I could get up to 20/25. My eye is still very unstable though, as shown by the big change since last month. He said that before giving me a prescription he would really like to have one more set of numbers, making it three in all, so that he could kind of average them together. He recommended one more visit in a week at which time he would go ahead and make out a prescription for me. Aside from that, he said that my eye, and my vision, are amazingly good for someone who had a transplant not so long ago.

My visit with Dr. Vaughan took less than an hour so I thought we would have a long wait to see Dr. Feilmeier, but his assistant took us back almost right away once we were done with Dr. Vaughan. It was only a little after twelve and my appointment wasn’t supposed to be until 12:40.

Dr. Feilmeier came in with his eyes on my chart and said, “I don’t believe these readings, you must have cheated.” He’s quite the kidder. He looked at my eye and was very pleased with everything. He removed one more suture that was loose and assured me that “we are definitely back on track.” Dr. Vaughan has mentioned that I had a pretty severe astigmatism so Dr. Feilmeier sent me over for a topography on my eye. When he got the results he said that I did have a pronounced cone but that was probably due to the sutures. So he removed two more sutures and said that should help quite a bit with that. He also said he might remove a few more next month.

So it was another good visit with the doctors. I still can’t believe I’m seeing 20/30! And it sounds like I’ll finally be getting some glasses next week. Well, my appointment is next week and then the glasses probably take a few days after that. Then I’ll be off to get my driver’s license, something I’ve been looking forward to since my surgery.

Isaiah 30:18 Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you, and therefore He exalts Himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for Him. ESV

Psalms 25:5 Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. ESV

1 comment:

  1. All good news from the miracle patient!
    This is pretty exciting! :)

    God has heard your pleas, and answered your prayers. Now onto what He has planned...

    What an awesome God!

    ReplyDelete