Monday, May 6, 2013

Journal - Starting the Garden

So today we had a pretty good day. I had the day off so we decided to run a few errands and it was a beautiful, warm, sunny day for it.

First we had to go to the bank in Gibbon to take care of a little business. While we were in there, Mom just happened to stop in on some business as well. She was working so she couldn’t stay long and we had more stops to make as well so we only had a brief visit.

From there we headed to Kearney. First we needed to drop off our aluminum cans at the scrap-yard. Aluminum is going for sixty cents a pound right now, which is a pretty decent price. We always save ours up and had about 8 large garbage bags full so it was definitely time to get those up there.

After the scrap-yard, we stopped at the post office to mail off a package to Joni’s mom. Just a little something Joni wanted to send her for Mother’s Day.

Then it was off to Hastings. No, not the town of Hastings, the store in Kearney that sells books, music, movies, games, electronics, and other neat stuff. Hastings not only sells stuff, but they also buy used items so I’ve been taking up some of my old books and CD’s and movies and also some of those audiobooks that have been piling up in the basement and trading them in for store credit. When I have enough credit I’m finally going to get a new TV. Hastings has exactly the one I want, a 32-inch LG widescreen. I’ve been making several trips to Hastings and after my visit today I only need another $40 of credit to get that TV. And I’ll have it in plenty of time for football season!

From Hastings we went on up to the mall where Joni wanted to look around the garden center they’ve set up out in the parking lot. We had already gone to Walmart’s garden center last week and got a few things to start our garden with, but we had both been wanting to check out the mall to see what they had. Well, let me tell you, the garden center at the mall beat Walmart’s garden section hands down. The mall has a huge selection of everything you could want: every kind of flower I’ve ever heard of and many that I hadn’t, more varieties of tomatoes and pepper than I knew existed, and all kinds of herbs. They even had eggplant! Who eats eggplant? Well, we had a lot of fun looking around and picked out several items. Joni got some flowers including some really beautiful pansies, and we picked out two different kinds of tomatoes, and we got some green pepper and jalapeno pepper plants. Everything came in little trays of four plants each and were $2.19. Not bad at all. I think we spent about $28.00 or thereabouts. Oh, I almost forgot, I got a strawberry plant! Can’t wait for those to grow! So Joni used her garden money left over from last week and we put in a little of our aluminum money.

By then we were both ready to head home. We stopped by Long John Silver’s to pick up some lunch, using more of our aluminum money, and went on home and ate. We love Long John’s but don’t eat there very often as it’s a little more pricey than other fast food places. Kind of a rare treat.

After we ate we changed clothes and headed out to the garden to do some planting. But I’ll have more about that later.

Isaiah 58:11 And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment