Thursday, February 2, 2012

Stand Up!

I received one of those forwarded chain emails the other day, I’m sure you’re all familiar with these. I usually just delete them without even looking, but this one caught my eye so I read it. It concerns a man named Darrell Scott who spoke before Congress on May 27, 1999. Darrell is the father of Rachel Scott who was murdered at Columbine High School just 5 weeks before. His statement was thus:

“Since the dawn of creation, there has been both good and evil in the hearts of men and women, and we all contain those seeds: We contain the seeds of kindness and we contain the seeds of violence. And the death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joyce Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other 11 children who died, must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used, neither was it the NCA - the National Club Association - the true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in his heart. In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA, I am not a hunter, I do not even own a gun, I'm not here to represent or to defend the NRA, because I don't believe they are responsible for my daughter's death, therefore I don't believe they need to be defended by me. If I believed that they had anything to do with Rachel's murder, I would be their strongest opponent. I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy, it was a spiritual event which should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies. Much of that blame lies here in this room - much of that blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves.

I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expressed my feelings best, and it was written before I knew that I would be speaking here today, and I'd like to read that:

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You’ve stripped away our heritage,
You’ve outlawed simple prayer.

Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question “Why?”

You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need.

Men and women are three part beings: we have a body, and we have a soul, and we have a spirit ... And I believe we fail to recognize that third element, that really does need to be recognized by the legislative bodies of this country, that's been ignored for so long. Spiritual influences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries, and we know this is a historic fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We've refused to honor God, and in doing so we opened the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs, politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that continue to erode away our personal and private liberties.

We don't need more restrictive laws. Erik and Dylan would not have been stopped by more gun laws or metal detectors. No amount of laws can stop someone who spends months of planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts. Political posturing and restrictive legislation are not the answers. The young people of our nation hold the key, and there is a spiritual awakening that is taking place that will not be squelched. We don't need more religion, we don't need more gaudy television evangelists spewing out verbal religious garbage, we do not need more million dollar church buildings built while people's basic needs are being ignored. We do need a change of heart and a humble acknowledgement that this nation was founded on the principle of simple trust in God.

When my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he didn't hesitate to pray in school, and I defy any law or politician to deny him that right. I challenge every young person in America and around the world to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School, prayer was brought back to our schools. Don't let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your conscience and denies your God-given right to communicate with Him.


Amen to that. I don’t imagine our Congressmen and women enjoyed hearing that, but it was certainly something that they needed to hear, and something that we all need to hear. It must have taken Mr. Scott a great deal of courage to stand up in front of our nation’s leaders and tell them point blank that they have dropped the ball, but I’m sure he understands that we all must take a share of that blame. Every one of us who sees wrong and turns a blind eye to it; every one of us who does not stand up for what we believe in must share in that blame. If all the Christians of this nation, and of every other nation, would stand up and speak out the way Mr. Scott did, we could change the world.

Darrell Scott didn’t stop with his speech before Congress, he went on to create “Rachel’s Challenge”, an organization devoted to empowering not only young people, but anyone who is willing to start a chain reaction of kindness in their school, business, or community.

Mark 3:24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. ESV

Luke 11:23 Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. ESV

Psalms 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. KJV


RELATED READING:
Read the full transcript of Mr. Scott’s statement here.
Visit the Rachel’s Challenge website to find out how you can get involved.
Learn more about Rachel Joy Scott here.

1 comment: